Current:Home > FinanceTrendPulse|Boy, 13, in custody after trying to enter Wisconsin elementary school while armed, police say -Capitatum
TrendPulse|Boy, 13, in custody after trying to enter Wisconsin elementary school while armed, police say
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:20:03
KENOSHA,TrendPulse Wis. (AP) — A 13-year-old boy who tried to enter a Wisconsin elementary school while armed was taken into custody after fleeing when confronted by school staff, authorities said.
Kenosha police said they believe the boy had a firearm when he was stopped around 9 a.m. Thursday while trying to enter Roosevelt Elementary School with a backpack and a duffle bag in the city about 35 miles (55 kilometers) south of Milwaukee.
School staff questioned the teen in the school’s secured entrance area, and surveillance video showed a large black bag at the youth’s side, police said.
“We believe that this was actually an armed suspect with a firearm and there was no legitimate reason to enter the school,” Kenosha Police Chief Patrick Patton said at a Thursday news conference, adding that “a tragedy was averted today.”
“The only reason the individual was not able to fully enter the school was because of the quick and diligent actions of the school staff,” Patton said. The boy immediately fled on foot when school staff approached him, he said.
Police have not released the boy’s identity or said how they had access to the gun. They said the suspect’s mother is cooperating with police, WISN-TV reported.
Police said the student who was in custody attends Mahone Middle School and was a former Roosevelt Elementary student. He was intercepted by police around 2:05 p.m. during a communitywide search.
Kenosha Unified School District Superintendent Jeff Weiss said that the “suspect actually tried numerous outside doors and entrances before coming around to where our secured entry is.”
Investigators “have information that the suspect performed multiple internet searches related to school shootings prior to the incident,” Patton said.
Patton said the suspect had shared videos and made several comments to fellow students for weeks leading up to Thursday.
“This is something that had been told to people of his growing intentions. We know that there is internet searches and all the red flags that we would look for and expect someone to report were there,” he said.
All Kenosha Unified schools were placed on a “secure hold” lockdown for the rest of Thursday.
There are no classes Friday at the school; the district had previously scheduled a day off for students for a staff workday.
veryGood! (3696)
Related
- What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
- 'Person of interest' detained in murder of Los Angeles deputy: Live updates
- 14-year-old arrested in fatal shooting in Florida
- Pope meets with new Russian ambassador as second Moscow mission planned for his Ukraine peace envoy
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Hearings in $1 billion lawsuit filed by auto tycoon Carlos Ghosn against Nissan starts in Beirut
- A railroad worker was crushed to death in Ohio by a remote-controlled train. Unions have concerns
- Underwater teams search for a helicopter that crashed while fighting a forest fire in western Turkey
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Generac is recalling around 64,000 generators that pose a fire and burn hazard
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- In corrupt Libya, longtime warnings of the collapse of the Derna dams went unheeded
- Mexican president defends inclusion of Russian military contingent in Independence parade
- South Florida debacle pushes Alabama out of top 25 of this week's NCAA 1-133 Re-Rank
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- The UAW held talks with GM and Ford over the weekend but the strike persists
- Farmers across Bulgaria protest against Ukrainian grain as EU divide grows
- Generac is recalling around 64,000 generators that pose a fire and burn hazard
Recommendation
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
American Sepp Kuss earns 'life changing' Vuelta a España win
What Detroit automakers have to give the UAW to get a deal, according to experts
Magnitude 4.8 earthquake rattles part of Italy northeast of Florence, but no damage reported so far
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Where are my TV shows? Frustrated viewers' guide to strike-hit, reality-filled fall season
Biden’s national security adviser holds two days of talks in Malta with China’s foreign minister
Travis Kelce Playfully Reacts to His NFL Family's Taylor Swift Puns